Sunday, May 13, 2007

Update April til now

The targets of my last post were to play 60k hands at 100nl playing over 10 tables. The results of this are shown on the graph below just after the $1.6k drop at 200nl. I ran fine to start with gaining back $800 but then began to run even worse than i did at 200nl but continued to play solidly. During the 18 buyin downswing I had stages of playing very solid poker but admit tilting occasionally.

I began to lose my game, felting hands that i deffinitely shouldn't be (e.g. not folding top pair against a guy showing great strength just because there was a flush draw out). I started believing everyone was making plays at me all the time because they always seemed to be raising and betting into me. Around the -$2600 mark I pulled myself together, dropped back a couple of tables (already having cut back to 8 tables), played what i believed to be solid abc poker. This worked for a short while but I ran bad and dropped back down.

I was really starting to lose faith in myself at this point. I put a lot of pressure on myself because I don't have a job, nor am i at university. I have given myself a time period in which to take a shot at poker and unless I get to a decent level (mid stakes winner) within the next 6 months I know i will haveto get a job. Anyway, i dropped down to 25nl and 50nl playing 10-12 tables and just played really basic poker.


50nl: 10k hands, 7.7BB/100, +$780


25nl: 7.5k hands, 4BB/100, +$160 (i actually had a bad tilt session at this level, quite funny)


I really feel the time spent at this levels help me get back to fundermentals (stop making plays) and plugged a lot of leaks in my game.



Now, i've moved back up to 100nl and 200nl, and have moved back up to break even since the start of april. If you'd have told me this when i started i would have been gutted, but as it stands now i am pretty happy. I feel I am playing better, and have started using a table selector which is really useful for finding bad players.

100nl: 7.5k hands, 5BB/100, +$750


200nl: 2.5k hands, 5BB/100, +$500






Obviously this is a very small sample so we'll just have to wait and see if it can be maintained. Who knows, the next time i blog, my graph might be above that horizontal line that has been laughing at me for the last 6 weeks.

Targets:

1) Continue to play 100nl and 200nl solidly with good table selection

2) Try to log more hands at 200nl than 100nl but be happy to drop down at any point if running bad or the tables aren't good

3) Start taking shots at 400nl in July

4) Increase bankroll by 10% a week (this target is only so (3) is possible)



Hope i haven't bored anyone too much, later

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alex Straight said...

You tried playing less tables? Good to hear about you still lovin the game and improving.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Aero1441 said...

Hi, great blog! Fun to read! :)

I was wondering what kind of poker table selector you are using? I could really use such a tool. Thanks!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home